Please read on for the following –
- COVID-19 Policies
- Online Booking System
- Prepaid Sessions
- Children’s Activity Camps
- Please do not attend Durham Climbing Centre if you, or anyone from your household displays symptoms of COVID-19.
- If you have already had COVID-19, please obtain a negative test before attending Durham Climbing Centre.
- If you book a session, then develop symptoms - we can cancel your session and offer an exchange to a different session
Update 18th September - New local restrictions
We are open as usual. Due to the stringent measures we have taken so far, we operate as normal with the following updates -
- Rule of 6 - Please do not arrive at the centre in groups larger than 6 people
- Rock Stars Lessons & Academy - operating as normal - see information below relating to instructional groups
- Table service now available in cafe
- No minimum spend on the card machine too encourage contactless payments
- 10pm Close
Updates from 14th September 2020
Groups Visiting the Centre
From Monday 14th September, new guidance means that it is now illegal for groups of more than 6 who are not part of an organised group to attend the centre.
The ABC and partners Sport England have issued the following guidance regarding the use of groups within the leisure sector:
People can also continue to use leisure facilities, including gyms and pools - classes within these venues can continue as they are now. People should not go to these venues socially in groups of more than six.
That's because these sports and activities have stringent plans in place to reduce the risk of Covid-19, and because these venues are classed as COVID-secure given the measures they’ve introduced.
Check in & Check Out - Mandatory
We have been working hard to make checking in and out as easy as possible for centre users. It is mandatory to check in and out of your session. This can be done three ways -
1) Report to the desk on the way in and when leaving
2) Scan in and out using a membership card
3) Scan in and out using a personal mobile device (phone) - This is the preferred method
Please ask a member of the team to set up your mobile device for checking in and out. To save tines, please download the RGPConnect app ready to connect on arrival.
Download RGP Connect for Android
Download RGP Connect for Apple
We have now removed the reception check-in sign in sheet as we have a very sophisticated track and trace procedure in place.
- The centre is now operating with a restricted capacity. We have taken the decision to operate below our maximum capacity so customers feel comfortable and can maintain social distancing.
- Please pay attention to PHE posters and signage advising climbers to maintain 2 meters social distance during their climb.
- Management are trusting customers to maintain their distance and follow government guidelines during their climb.
- Screens are in place in reception to protect customers and staff.
- Children's session's are running to a maximum of 6 children per session to allow for social distancing.
- Management are confident that due to the stringent measures in place, social distancing can be practiced in all areas of the centre.
- Please wash hands or sanitize on arrival and when leaving. Hand washing is preferable over sanitising. We have installed two extra sinks in the Beginner Area and Advanced Area to encourage hand washing and make it more convenient for visitors to wash their hands during their session.
- Sanitizer stations are placed all around the centre for use by customers.
- PHE posters and signage advising customers of hygiene measures are placed around the centre.
- Please wash your hands and sanitize regularly during your climbing sessions.
- Public Health England consider climbing holds to be part of the infrastructure of our facility, therefore it is not reasonably practical to clean holds after every single use. Climbers must take responsibility for their own personal hygiene on every session.
- Cleaning checklists will be performed by staff at the start and end of every session. Cleaning focusses on touch points, surfaces and seating areas.
- Internal doors have been removed to reduce touch points and increase ventilation.
- Personal sanitisers, face masks and liquid chalk are available to purchase at reception.
- Durham Climbing centre has reduced its maximum capacity to 1 person per 9 sq. metres of usable space.
- The maximum capacity in the centre is 54. We are now operating under our maximum capacity to allow for social distancing.
- The maximum capacity at DCC is split between the beginner area an advanced area.
- Arrival times and departure times are staggered to minimise contact.
- If you have booked for a session in the advanced area or beginner area, you should remain in this area during your session to allow us to maintain capacities in both areas.
- Spectators are not permitted to attend during adult climbing sessions, and may only attend with children on pre-booked classes or events. This is limited to 1 parent per child - this is due to non-paying spectators affecting the maximum capacity in each area of the centre at all times.
Face coverings for staff and customers - Updated 22nd August 2020
It is mandatory for customers, spectators and staff to wear masks or face coverings on arrival, exit and during times when they are not climbing and when social distancing may not be possible.
The guidance also says: You are also strongly encouraged to wear a face covering in other enclosed public spaces where social distancing may be difficult and where you come into contact with people you do not normally meet.
The WHO have updated their guidance on children wearing masks. Please can children visiting the centre follow the latest guidance which is -
Children aged 12 and over - should wear a mask under the same conditions as adults, in particular when they cannot guarantee a distance of at least one meter from others and there is widespread transmission in the area.
Children aged between 6 and 11 - the WHO advises taking into account how widespread the transmission of the virus is and whether the child is interacting with high risk individuals such as the elderly. It also stresses the need for adult supervision to help children use, put on and take masks off safely. Coaches are able to assist with helping children to use, put on and take off masks safely.
Children ages 5 and under - should not, under normal circumstances, wear masks.
All pre-paid sessions including Annual Pass, 10 Session Pass, Rock Stars Sessions and Climbing Camps who have already paid for climbs have been given priority booking.
Annual & 3 Month Pass holders
- All existing passes have been frozen since 16th March and resumed on 25th July. All passes have had 131 days added on to account for the closure.
- Existing 3-month & 12 month passes – are not required to book online. For your convenience, and due to extra room in our upper capacity we can allow pass holders to attend any time without pre-booking. Please bring your Membership Card on arrival to check in. This policy will be kept under review.
- No new 3- or 12-month passes will be issued from the opening date.
10 Session Passes
- All 10 Session Pass holders will not need to book online between
- 10am - 4pm Monday - Friday & 12pm - 5pm Saturday and Sunday
Outside of these times please book a slot online where you will be charged a non-refundable fee of £1.00. Please bring your Membership Card on arrival to check in. This policy will be kept under review.
- No new 10 Session Passes will be issued from the opening date.
The following sessions are available for online booking
- Adult Member (over 14 experienced climber or academy member)
- Adult Non-member
- 10 Session Pass (Peak times)
- Children’s Activity Camp
- Beginner Taster Session
- Children’s Casual Climbing Session
Adult Climbing Sessions - available to book now online
- Members and non-members can book their climbing sessions. Hire shoes may be hired on arrival at the centre. Please note the minimum card payment is £5.00
- Adults may book a 1 hr 45 min. climbing session and must promptly leave at their end time to allow for cleaning before the next session arrives.
- Adult sessions are open to experienced climbers over 14 years old and DCC Academy Team members.
- Online booking is mandatory in order for us to manage capacity at all times. We have made this process simple and quick. Using timed slots means we can manage customers in and out of the centre to ensure social distancing measures are adhered to. Start times are staggered to allow everyone to arrive and leave safely.
- Please do not attend unless you have pre-booked a session.
- Management will monitor capacity, and walk-ins may be considered at a later date.
Children’s sessions and camps are undertaken with full adherence to social distancing guidelines and following a specific risk assessment.
Rock Stars Climbing Club
- All parents of pre-paid rock stars sessions have been contacted by email with new sessions they can attend. If you have prepaid lessons from last term, please email to rebook. Rock Stars from last term have 3 remaining sessions.
- Casual Rock Stars Sessions are available to book online
- Following our Children’s Sessions risk assessment, we are now offering smaller group sessions with a maximum of 6 children, 1 coach and 1 parent per child. This allows for social distancing and minimal use of masks for children - we do not advise children to wear masks while climbing.
- We have added more sessions to ensure there is enough space for everyone.
- We are asking only one parent to attend Rock Stars sessions with their child.
- We encourage parents to drop off and collect children where possible (over 12 years club only – all 3-6 years & 7-11 years one parent must be present)
- All 3-6, 7-11- & 12-16-years lessons will be held in the beginner climbing area. This is to ensure capacity can be managed between the centre, and two climbing areas. Route setters have added more challenging climbs in the Beginner area for more experienced children. We may consider using the advanced area is capacity allows for older children.
Climbing Camp are open with stringent measures in place.
Just like the centre, we have added additional procedures to our camps to ensure every camper can have a fun and safe experience. These include limited capacity of 15 children per day, additional hygiene facilities and social distancing.
So just follow this link to find out what dates we have available and book your spot!
At this time, as a precautionary measure we are unable to accept any children with medical needs on to our camps. This will be kept under review.
- Book a taster session online
- Fill in an acknowledgement of risk form and watch the safety video
Arriving for your climb
- Please arrive in climbing clothing ready to climb
- Please bring minimal items into the climbing centre (lockers and changing rooms are out of use)
- Please wait in your car or outside the centre until arrival time.
- Please check in on arrival and check out when you leave. This ensures we can keep a record of everyone in the centre at any one time for capacity management, and a track of who has visited on each day for track and trace purposes.
Cash / Card
- We are accepting cash and card payments We have contactless card facility and online booking. Please note the minimum card payment is £5.00
Hire shoes are available to rent. After each use they are disinfected on the inside and the outside of the shoe to reduce the likelihood of smear infection. There is no evidence that the virus is transmitted through sweat.
- Hire shoes can be dropped off on the dedicated shoe rack in reception on departure.